Moisturizing Strategies for Fall and Winter
As we transition from Fall into Winter our skin can be difficult to deal with. Products that just yesterday were working great for your complexion just don't seem as effective today. Anyone with sensitive skin prone to irritation can find that their skin can erupt overnight. This is also true for oily/acne prone skin types. For some, the colder months can be helpful in that your skin will be less oily, but on the other hand a buildup of dead skin cells can create congestion leading to breakouts and a very dull complexion.
Exfoliation is necessary for both oily and dry skin types in winter. It removes the dead skin and allows serums and hydration to penetrate. Conditioning your skin once a month with a professional facial treatment using cosmeceutical organic acids such as glycolic, lactic and salicylic will work to break down oils (lipids) in the skin allowing for accelerated cell shedding. Adding a topically applied skin exfoliator to your home care regimen, such as the Institut' DERMed Enhancing Micro Crystal Polish that contains corundum crystals and jojoba beads will polish away dead skin cells and when used once a week will provide a mild exfoliation without risk of over exfoliating. After any exfoliation follow with a serum and moisturizer recommended for your skin type to restore the epidermal barrier for maximum hydration and protection.
Tips for avoiding dry and dull Winter skin
1. Wash with a creamy cleanser like the Institut’ DERMed Enhancing Creamy Cleanser with Milk Proteins to remove makeup, dirt and oil without stripping skin of precious oils that bond water to the cells. Always use tepid water and a soft wash cloth to remove cleansers.
2. Balance your skin’s pH after cleansing with a corrective toner to hydrate and prepare your skin for better penetration of your serum and moisturizer.
3. Cosmeceutical ingredients treat and hydrate skin. The Institut’ DERMed Anti-Oxidant Peptide Serum with Spin Trap Proteins bond nutrient rich water to the skin and provide the first layer of hydration and protection for dry skin types. For oily skin types the Institut' DERMed Totarol Serum formulated with Totarol Extract and Tea Tree Oil is a much gentler alternative to benzoyl peroxide in the winter months and will help you to maintain a clear, clean complexion.
4. The Institut’ DERMed Renewing Moisturizer will provide maximum skin protection for those with dry skin, protecting against environmental aggressions and softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. For excessively oily skin types the Clarifying Moisturizer with plant derived Squalene Oil and Tea Tree Oil will restore the skin's ideal moisture balance while maintaining a clear complexion.
5. Keep some intensive moisturizing cream on hand such as the Enhancing Protective Cream for the face, and the Enhanching Lactic Hand and Body Lotion for the body to handle those problematic areas whenever necessary, especially if you live in a very harsh winter climate.
Heading into Spring there may still be some unexpectedly cooler temperatures here and there, but the evenings are starting to stay brighter longer and the days noticeably more sunny. Early Spring is the perfect time to say goodbye to dry, winter skin and prepare your face and body for spending more time outdoors.
Exfoliation is the process of removing dry, damaged skin cells from the surface of the skin; Exfoliation helps to increase skin regeneration, boost elasticity and create a smoothness (minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles). Natural aging may be unavoidable but exfoliation contributes to “healthy skin aging” by delaying or preventing the visible appearance of skin aging. Strengthening your skin’s ability to retain moisture is the key to youthful looking skin.
The more hydrated your skin is, the more youthful it will look and moisturizing on top of a layer of dead dry skin buildup won't accomplish much. Dry winter skin can also just feel itchy and uncomfortable and clog pores leading to more breakouts if you are acne prone.
Using both a topical and a physical exfoliant in a skin care regime will keep those dead, dry skin cells at bay. An exfoliating scrub such as the Enhancing Micro Crystal Polish with corundum crystals and jojoba beads and an exfoliating peel such as the Brightening peel with Lactic Acid will also break up pigmented areas, sloughing off those damaged skin cells to help even the skin tone and brighten for a gorgeous healthy glow.
In clinic this is a great time of the year to add on a professional peel, a microdermabrasion or a dermaplaning to your regular facial treatment. Spring is here - get your Dermed glow on!