Moisturizing Strategies for Fall and Winter
As we transition from Fall into Winter our skin can be difficult to deal with. Products that just yesterday were working great for your complexion just don't seem as effective today. Anyone with sensitive skin prone to irritation can find that their skin can erupt overnight. This is also true for oily/acne prone skin types. For some, the colder months can be helpful in that your skin will be less oily, but on the other hand a buildup of dead skin cells can create congestion leading to breakouts and a very dull complexion.
Exfoliation is necessary for both oily and dry skin types in winter. It removes the dead skin and allows serums and hydration to penetrate. Conditioning your skin once a month with a professional facial treatment using cosmeceutical organic acids such as glycolic, lactic and salicylic will work to break down oils (lipids) in the skin allowing for accelerated cell shedding. Adding a topically applied skin exfoliator to your home care regimen, such as the Institut' DERMed Enhancing Micro Crystal Polish that contains corundum crystals and jojoba beads will polish away dead skin cells and when used once a week will provide a mild exfoliation without risk of over exfoliating. After any exfoliation follow with a serum and moisturizer recommended for your skin type to restore the epidermal barrier for maximum hydration and protection.
Tips for avoiding dry and dull Winter skin
1. Wash with a creamy cleanser like the Institut’ DERMed Enhancing Creamy Cleanser with Milk Proteins to remove makeup, dirt and oil without stripping skin of precious oils that bond water to the cells. Always use tepid water and a soft wash cloth to remove cleansers.
2. Balance your skin’s pH after cleansing with a corrective toner to hydrate and prepare your skin for better penetration of your serum and moisturizer.
3. Cosmeceutical ingredients treat and hydrate skin. The Institut’ DERMed Anti-Oxidant Peptide Serum with Spin Trap Proteins bond nutrient rich water to the skin and provide the first layer of hydration and protection for dry skin types. For oily skin types the Institut' DERMed Totarol Serum formulated with Totarol Extract and Tea Tree Oil is a much gentler alternative to benzoyl peroxide in the winter months and will help you to maintain a clear, clean complexion.
4. The Institut’ DERMed Renewing Moisturizer will provide maximum skin protection for those with dry skin, protecting against environmental aggressions and softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. For excessively oily skin types the Clarifying Moisturizer with plant derived Squalene Oil and Tea Tree Oil will restore the skin's ideal moisture balance while maintaining a clear complexion.
5. Keep some intensive moisturizing cream on hand such as the Enhancing Protective Cream for the face, and the Enhanching Lactic Hand and Body Lotion for the body to handle those problematic areas whenever necessary, especially if you live in a very harsh winter climate.
Acne Education Month
Acne usually appears in the teenage years, but some people begin to have acne in their 20's or 30's and sometimes Acne is a skin condition that stays for a long time! There are several reasons for acne: an increased production of sebum from sebaceous glands, abnormal increase of cornification in the hair follicle, proliferation of P. acne bacteria, genetic reasons and inflammatory reactions.
There are also several types of Acne - which are classified in grades from 1 to 4:
Whiteheads: stay under the surface of the skin. (Grade 1)
Blackheads: oxidized sebum trapped in the pores. (Grade 1)
Papules: small pink bumps that can be tender. (Grade1-2)
Pustules: red bumps at the bottom with pus on the top.(Grade 3)
Nodules: large painful solid pimples deep in the skin.(Grade 3-4)
Cysts: deep painful pus-filled pimples can cause scars.(Grade 4)
Acne affects approximately 17 million people and is the most dermatologic condition treated by physicians and estheticians within the United States. There are a number of treatments on the market today to treat acne these range from anti-biotics, to facial treatments such as chemical peels, to Laser, and most recently - INTRAcel RF Microneedling. These treatments are effective for treating the symptoms of acne.
In the Spa pore clarifying treatments combined with home care topical products are very effective in diminishing the appearance of acne prone skin. Acne means oil control is a must. The Institut' DERMed Clarifying Infusion Facial is recommended for combination, oily, excessively oily and congested skin types. This clarifying deep pore cleansing facial is designed to reduce the appearance of oily, congested skin with the clarifying ingredients necessary to help achieve a confidently clear complexion.
Long term results can be achieved with a skin care regimen at home containing oil controlling ingredients: a cleansing facial wash containing Salicylic Acid and Tea Tree Oil helps acne prone skin decongest pores and remove oil, and a weekly Clarifying peel formulated with Pumpkin Enzymes and L-Lactic Acid combined with a weekly Clarifying Mask formulated with BioFense Probiotic® and Lichochalcone® will absorb oil and decongest pores ensuring your skin will remain clean and clear. It's important to note that a gentle oil-free moisturizer is important to help restore moisture balance.
Special Offer for Acne Education Month: Featured Products: Institut' DERMed Clarifying Peel and Mask.
15% OFF until July 31st, 2018 with coupon code WAL0718
1 per client please. Not to be combined with any other discount or promotion.
Acne breakouts occur when there is an excess of of dirt and oil clogging the pores. Clogged pores promote the proliferation of the bacteria responsible for pimples and pustules. Summer heat and humidity can intensify oil production and things can get out of control quickly. We've got the perfect summer resolutions to help keep your acne prone skin clear of breakouts.
Topical serums such as Glycolic Serum formulated with Glycolic Acid - an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) derived from fermented rhubarb and Sodium PCA - a non-comedogenic natural humectant and effective moisture-binding agent that preserves the natural moisturizing factor (NMF) of the skin or our Totarol Serum formulated with Totarol Extract - derived from the Totara Tree in New Zealand, used as a gentle alternative to benzoyl peroxide and Tea Tree Oil - also known as melaleuca help to control excess oil.
An at home Spa treatment once a week of a Clarifying Peel formulated with Pumpkin Enzymes and L-Lactic Acid helps to exfoliate and decongest clogged pores. Follow with a Clarifying Mask formulated with Bio-Fense Probiatic® and Lichochalcone® to absorb oil and decongest pores, and your skin will remain clean and clear.
Don't forget it's very important to protect your skin from UV damage so apply sunblock daily, an application formulated with zinc oxide won't clog your pores.
Worth A Look - Dermed featured Products
15% Off Clarifying Peel and 15% Off Clarifying Mask
expires July 31st. Use coupon code WAL0717 at checkout.
Treatment Spotlight: Complexion Perfection Treatments
Perfect for Back to School!
How to Choose the Right Facial for You
With so many treatment options, selecting a facial for your skin can feel like a tricky task. Basic facials are great for most skin types and conditions, dry to oily, and will contain a corrective cleansing and toning, an exfoliation, mask, infusion serum, and moisturizer with product selections customized for your skin. Let’s break down the basic facial menu by skin condition and the results you’re looking for.