Moisturizing Strategies for Fall and Winter
As we transition from Fall into Winter our skin can be difficult to deal with. Products that just yesterday were working great for your complexion just don't seem as effective today. Anyone with sensitive skin prone to irritation can find that their skin can erupt overnight. This is also true for oily/acne prone skin types. For some, the colder months can be helpful in that your skin will be less oily, but on the other hand a buildup of dead skin cells can create congestion leading to breakouts and a very dull complexion.
Exfoliation is necessary for both oily and dry skin types in winter. It removes the dead skin and allows serums and hydration to penetrate. Conditioning your skin once a month with a professional facial treatment using cosmeceutical organic acids such as glycolic, lactic and salicylic will work to break down oils (lipids) in the skin allowing for accelerated cell shedding. Adding a topically applied skin exfoliator to your home care regimen, such as the Institut' DERMed Enhancing Micro Crystal Polish that contains corundum crystals and jojoba beads will polish away dead skin cells and when used once a week will provide a mild exfoliation without risk of over exfoliating. After any exfoliation follow with a serum and moisturizer recommended for your skin type to restore the epidermal barrier for maximum hydration and protection.
Tips for avoiding dry and dull Winter skin
1. Wash with a creamy cleanser like the Institut’ DERMed Enhancing Creamy Cleanser with Milk Proteins to remove makeup, dirt and oil without stripping skin of precious oils that bond water to the cells. Always use tepid water and a soft wash cloth to remove cleansers.
2. Balance your skin’s pH after cleansing with a corrective toner to hydrate and prepare your skin for better penetration of your serum and moisturizer.
3. Cosmeceutical ingredients treat and hydrate skin. The Institut’ DERMed Anti-Oxidant Peptide Serum with Spin Trap Proteins bond nutrient rich water to the skin and provide the first layer of hydration and protection for dry skin types. For oily skin types the Institut' DERMed Totarol Serum formulated with Totarol Extract and Tea Tree Oil is a much gentler alternative to benzoyl peroxide in the winter months and will help you to maintain a clear, clean complexion.
4. The Institut’ DERMed Renewing Moisturizer will provide maximum skin protection for those with dry skin, protecting against environmental aggressions and softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. For excessively oily skin types the Clarifying Moisturizer with plant derived Squalene Oil and Tea Tree Oil will restore the skin's ideal moisture balance while maintaining a clear complexion.
5. Keep some intensive moisturizing cream on hand such as the Enhancing Protective Cream for the face, and the Enhanching Lactic Hand and Body Lotion for the body to handle those problematic areas whenever necessary, especially if you live in a very harsh winter climate.
Institut’ DERMed Spa first in Atlanta with INTRAcel Fractional RF Microneedle, FRM™.
Institut Dermed Spa launches an all new Collagen Production Therapy treatment:
The INTRAcel Fractional RadioFrequency Microneedling, FRM™ treatment for advanced beauty enhancement and skin tightening.
Institut' DERMed Spa is one of only a few places in the country to be performing the revolutionary INTRAcel Collagen Production treatment originating from South Korea. INTRAcel uses fractional radio frequency combined with insulated micro-needles to treat wrinkles, sagging jawlines, neck, crow’s feet, acne scars, various skin irregularities and the reduction of stretch marks.
INTRAcel uniquely treats the target area through rapid penetration of specially designed insulated micro-needles without causing damage to the epidermis. The RadioFrequency energy transmitted stimulates fibroblasts resulting in the production of new collagen. The treatment is suitable for all skin types and tones.
Founder of Institut' DERMed, Lyn Ross, L.M.E., is very excited about the addition of the INTRAcel RF technology to address the skin care needs of the Spa's highly engaged clientele. "I have done much research in the arena of MicroNeedling and Radio Frequency and to have a modality that combines both and has demonstrated such visible results is really exciting", Ross said. "No other system offers real-time monitoring of the treatment to ensure optimum treatment parameters are delivered and we can select and combine the ideal energy needed to achieve the best results. It's really remarkable".
INTRAcel has 4 Modes to treat any skin layer: FRM monopolar, FRM Bipolar, SRR Superficial and T-Mode -Topical Non-Rf treatments; no other system can offer the range of power, modalities, features and benefits of INTRAcel.
You can see immediate results from the INTRAcel treatment as the face is gently lifted and specific problem areas targeted, and this tightening and lifting keeps improving over time as more collagen is produced. Subtle changes include fuller cheeks, tighter jawline, lines are softer and pores appear smaller.
There is minimal downtime after an INTRAcel treatment which is one of the reasons it is so popular!
A course of three treatments four weeks apart is recommended for optimum results.
SKIN COLOR AND THE ROLE OF MELANIN
Human skin has red, yellow, brown and blue tones. What we actually perceive in skin color is the reflected light off the skin. The best way to see true skin color is in natural light.
Melanin is also known as pigment. Melanin production is essentially a protective mechanism to prevent ultra violet damage to the cell nucleus.The basic unit of melanin is tyrosine, an amino acid which goes through a variety of conversions before melanin starts to form. Melanin is then transferred to the keratin cells by melanosomes. These cells rise to the stratum corneum, and eventually are sloughed from the skin.