Moisturizing Strategies for Fall and Winter
As we transition from Fall into Winter our skin can be difficult to deal with. Products that just yesterday were working great for your complexion just don't seem as effective today. Anyone with sensitive skin prone to irritation can find that their skin can erupt overnight. This is also true for oily/acne prone skin types. For some, the colder months can be helpful in that your skin will be less oily, but on the other hand a buildup of dead skin cells can create congestion leading to breakouts and a very dull complexion.
Exfoliation is necessary for both oily and dry skin types in winter. It removes the dead skin and allows serums and hydration to penetrate. Conditioning your skin once a month with a professional facial treatment using cosmeceutical organic acids such as glycolic, lactic and salicylic will work to break down oils (lipids) in the skin allowing for accelerated cell shedding. Adding a topically applied skin exfoliator to your home care regimen, such as the Institut' DERMed Enhancing Micro Crystal Polish that contains corundum crystals and jojoba beads will polish away dead skin cells and when used once a week will provide a mild exfoliation without risk of over exfoliating. After any exfoliation follow with a serum and moisturizer recommended for your skin type to restore the epidermal barrier for maximum hydration and protection.
Tips for avoiding dry and dull Winter skin
1. Wash with a creamy cleanser like the Institut’ DERMed Enhancing Creamy Cleanser with Milk Proteins to remove makeup, dirt and oil without stripping skin of precious oils that bond water to the cells. Always use tepid water and a soft wash cloth to remove cleansers.
2. Balance your skin’s pH after cleansing with a corrective toner to hydrate and prepare your skin for better penetration of your serum and moisturizer.
3. Cosmeceutical ingredients treat and hydrate skin. The Institut’ DERMed Anti-Oxidant Peptide Serum with Spin Trap Proteins bond nutrient rich water to the skin and provide the first layer of hydration and protection for dry skin types. For oily skin types the Institut' DERMed Totarol Serum formulated with Totarol Extract and Tea Tree Oil is a much gentler alternative to benzoyl peroxide in the winter months and will help you to maintain a clear, clean complexion.
4. The Institut’ DERMed Renewing Moisturizer will provide maximum skin protection for those with dry skin, protecting against environmental aggressions and softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. For excessively oily skin types the Clarifying Moisturizer with plant derived Squalene Oil and Tea Tree Oil will restore the skin's ideal moisture balance while maintaining a clear complexion.
5. Keep some intensive moisturizing cream on hand such as the Enhancing Protective Cream for the face, and the Enhanching Lactic Hand and Body Lotion for the body to handle those problematic areas whenever necessary, especially if you live in a very harsh winter climate.
Fruit and vegetable enzymes are proteins with the ability to target and break down dead skin cells. When used in skin care products, the enzymes speed up chemical reactions on the skin's surface, increasing skin cell turnover to reveal healthy, glowing skin. The enzymes take the place of manual exfoliation with an added bonus: they're also full of antioxidants! Pumpkin enzymes naturally contain vitamin A, making them the most effective enzyme for refining the skin's surface. This miracle enzyme helps to treat fine lines and wrinkles as well as to combat oily acne breakouts.
Skin care products that achieve this "healthy glow" without the downtime are available for home-care as well as professional use. Five minutes at home is all you need to transform your skin with the Institut Dermed Clarifying Peel. Formulated with oil controlling Pumpkin Enzymes and L-Lactic Acid this weekly treatment accelerates the release of dead cell build-up, fades the appearance of skin discoloration, decongests clogged pores and helps to prevent the appearance of blemishes for a clear, clean complexion. Contains 5% Pumpkin Enzymes.
For professional use, the Institut Dermed Pumpkin Peel facial treatment combines enzymes and fruit acids to accelerate exfoliation without the oxidative and free radical stress associated with most peels. The mild retinoic acid benefit helps the exfoliation process and this peel is also packed with Vitamin C, an antioxidant to strengthen your skin’s defenses and prevent the signs of aging. The Pumpkin Peel treatment takes approximately 30 minutes. There's no downtime with this peel which makes it an excellent lunchtime treatment.Contains 15% Pumpkin Enzymes. For Professional Use Only.
The sun is most often to blame for skin discoloration and premature aging and the total effects of sun damage may not be realized for years. Suntans and sunburns from early years may have very negative consequences later in life. It’s difficult to avoid sun exposure in the summer months and the effects of it can be seen in dark spots, uneven skin color and patchy hyperpigmentation.
UV induced hyperpigmentation from overexposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause an acute inflammation, known as erythema, and the subsequent overproduction of melanin results in an uneven distribution of pigment over the skins surface presenting as freckles and actinic keratosis.
It is absolutely possible to diminish the effects of too much summer sun and brighten, lift and fade skin discoloration. A series of professional peels that brighten the skin such as the Institut' DERMed Micro Lifting Peel - which contains a beautiful cocktail of non-irritating ingredients: Ascorbic Acid, Malic Acid, Papain Enzyme and Salicylic Acid, will slough off those dead unsightly skin cells and brighten and even the skin tone and texture. Regular exfoliation treatments will help to remove skin cells contianing abnormal amounts of pigment as well as help to prevent re-occuring hyperpigmentation.
Home care maintenance is a necessity to continue any results achieved from your professional treatment. A corrective serum such as the Institut' DERMed Chromabright Serum (chosen as a “Hot Product Pick” from the editors of American Spa Magazine), is a revolutionary hydroquinone-free serum formulated with Chromanyl Palmitate to lift and brighten dark spots and Glycolic Acid to even the skin tone and renew the skin’s surface for a radiant, luminous complexion. The Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil in the formulation provides a natural source of Vitamin C for skin conditioning and the Hexylresorcinol not only brightens but also protects the skin against environmental stressors.
As always daily sun protection is a must!
"What You See In The Mirror Is In Your Control."